Pharmacy Research UK (PRUK) is a small charity that funds pharmacy research in the UK. We fund research to help pharmacists do research projects that can improve the public services and patient health. Our research funding helps:
- Pharmacists develop research skills that will improve patient care in the future;
- Find out how we can deliver services better and make sure that pharmacy works well for patients;
- Enter into partnerships to increase the value and impact of pharmacy research;
- Promoting research to highlight the important role of pharmacy and pharmacists in health care.
This is an exciting time for PRUK. We are aiming to become one of the main research funders for pharmacy research in the UK. We are working with other key organisations to achieve this aim, such as Diabetes UK, Wellbeing of Women and the National Institute for Health and Care Research.
The Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP) advises the Board of Trustees about grant funding, as well as the areas which need more research. The panel also makes sure that the research we fund is fairly assessed and will improve care for patients and their families.
We are seeking to initially appoint two scientific members to the Scientific Advisory Panel.
We are looking for scientific members with expertise in a range of methodological or healthcare disciplines, particularly in data science, artificial intelligence, behavioural science, implementation science, health psychology or long-term conditions.
SAP members will be reimbursed for any expenses incurred when travelling to the meetings.
The appointees will help guide and support our research programme and priorities. As we look to raise our profile as the principal funder of early career research pharmacists and pharmacy researchers, this is an exciting time to get involved and support our new three-year strategy.
The responsibilities of the scientific post-holders include:
- Providing advice and input where necessary on PRUK’s research priorities, developments in the research landscape and best practice in our research policies and procedures;
- Contributing to discussions on the research strategy and approach taken to increase the scope of opportunity for pharmacists to engage in research;
- Advising and supporting the PRUK staff team in monitoring our portfolio of projects;
- Supporting the development of clear guidelines to establish measurable reporting procedures for research;
- Supporting the application review process by undertaking peer review of applications and assisting in sourcing peer reviewers.
We encourage applications from experienced researchers against the following criteria:
- Experienced researcher with substantive grant income and a good publication track record commensurate to stage of career;
- Experienced in peer reviewing proposals for grant funding;
- Educated as a health services researcher to post-doctoral level, with a background in pharmacy working in a relevant healthcare discipline with strong methodological expertise or with relevant cross-disciplinary experience in pharmacy research;
- Experience of working with other research funding panels (desirable).
We also want to ensure that our board is representative of the community we serve and so encourage applications from those with culturally and ethnically diverse backgrounds. We also welcome applications across the UK, particularly Wales.
The panel currently meets for a full day meeting twice a year virtually. There is the potential to meet in-person when needed (in London). There will be some preparatory work in the lead-up to the meetings, such as reviewing applications for funding. Therefore, members need to plan for work prior to the meetings and all members should be available, via email, outside of the meeting to receive relevant paperwork.
If you are interested in this role, please email your CV and a covering letter to Desh Mofidi at firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining your experience and interest in the role. The closing date for expressions of interest is 12pm on Wednesday 1st March.
If you wish to discuss these opportunities further, please contact Desh Mofidi (email@example.com).