PRUK is here to help pharmacy and pharmacists improve the public’s health and deliver better outcomes for patients by:
- Building the pharmacy research workforce through supporting the development of research skills among pharmacists;
- Supporting high quality research into the practice of pharmacy and the provision of pharmaceutical care that can inform and develop policy in practice;
- Entering into partnerships to amplify the value and reach of pharmacy research;
- Using and promoting research to highlight the important role of pharmacy and pharmacists in health provision.
We fund pharmacy research across a wide range of health care issues. From medicines optimisation, to research into the role of the pharmacist, we are keen to showcase the role pharmacists play in improving patients’ lives.
This is an exciting time for PRUK as we look to strengthen our position within the UK as a lead research funder for pharmacy, working with other key organisations to achieve this aim.
The Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP) provides strategic advice to the Board of Trustees on the development of PRUK’s grant-giving strategy, objectives and research priorities. The panel also plays an important role in ensuring that the research we fund is fairly assessed and of the highest quality.
We are seeking to initially appoint three members with expertise in a range of methodological or healthcare disciplines, particularly either health economics, medication adherence, applied health research, long-term care for older people or qualitative methodological expertise, to help guide and support our research programme and priorities. As we look to raise our profile as the principal funder of early career research pharmacists and pharmacy researchers, this is an exciting time to get involved and support our new three-year strategy.
The responsibilities of the post-holder include:
- Providing advice and input where necessary on PRUK’s research priorities, developments in the research landscape and best practice in our research policies and procedures;
- Contributing to discussions on the research strategy and approach taken to increase the scope of opportunity for pharmacists to engage in research;
- Advising and supporting the PRUK staff team in monitoring our portfolio of projects;
- Supporting the development of clear guidelines to establish measurable reporting procedures for research;
- Supporting the application review process by undertaking peer review of applications and assisting in sourcing peer reviewers.
We encourage applications from experienced researchers against the following criteria:
- Experienced researcher with substantive grant income and a good publication track record commensurate to stage of career;
- Experienced in peer reviewing proposals for grant funding;
- Educated as a health services researcher to post-doctoral level, with a background in pharmacy working in a relevant healthcare discipline with strong methodological expertise;
- Experience of working with other research funding panels (desirable).
We also want to ensure that our board is representative of the community we serve and so encourage applications from candidates with black and minority ethnic (BAME) backgrounds. We also welcome applications across the UK, including Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
The panel meets for a full day meeting twice a year in London (we currently are hosting these meetings virtually in response to the pandemic). There will be some preparatory work in the lead-up to the meetings, such as reviewing applications for funding. Therefore, members need to plan for work prior to the meetings and all members should be available, via email, outside of the meeting to receive relevant paperwork.
SAP members will be reimbursed for any expenses incurred when travelling to the meetings. If you are interested in this role, please email your CV and a covering letter to Desh Mofidi at firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining your experience and interest in the role. The closing date for expressions of interest is 12pm on Friday 26th November.
If you wish to discuss these opportunities further, please contact Desh Mofidi (email@example.com).